Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Heaven: Biblical Promises About the Life to Come

In last Sunday's sermon I also explained these three verses to my congregation. I like them because they contrast our present life in a fallen world to what awaits us in heaven:


Romans 8:18 "For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us."


II Corinthians 4:17 " For this slight and momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison."


I Corinthians 2:9 "But as it is written, 'What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him.'"

I have determined to memorize these verses so that when adversity comes I can recall what God's Word says and keep things in perspective. You might consider doing the same.

2 comments:

Dave Van said...

Dave: Thank you for these verses. I immediately honed in on II Cor 4:17. Now I’m not a KJV Onlyist, but I do like the way this verse flows in the KJV. As I contemplated this verse, I noticed 3 contrasts that I have surely seen before, but for some reason, especially after reading your previous post, they just popped off the computer screen at me. Light vs (heavy) weight; momentary vs eternal; affliction vs glory. Whatever trials, troubles, woes, worries, as Ryles list seems to go on endlessly, (a life-times worth) not to be compared to what lies ahead. These things are actually working for us, not temporally, but eternally, not meager, but super-abundantly, not more sorrow and woe, but glory, with Him. Thanks for your posts.

Dave Sarafolean said...

Dave,

Thanks for your note.

I am using the ESV and the contrasts are not so readily apparent but they are there.

I like the assurance that our trials are producing a weight of glory beyond all comparison. The ESV translates 'katergadzomai' as 'prepare' (a weight of glory). Bauer, Arndt, Gingrich and Danker (BAGD) p. 421 translates this word to mean 'bring about, produce, create' a weight of glory. I told my congregation that we might even think that our trials are accruing for us a weight of glory beyond comparison (much like money put into a retirement fund accrues interest).

In any event our present trials, though painful and difficult, will be eclipsed by the glory that awaits us in heaven. What a comfort to press on to the finish line!