Monday, June 9, 2008

Review of Presbytery Minutes - Day One

We began bright and early this morning at 8:00 AM reviewing presbytery minutes. After some introductory comments we paired up to do final readings of each set of minutes (each of which had been read by two separate readers). The goal of this final reading was to verify the findings of the two prior readings and write a final report summarizing their work.

By noon my partner and I had completed the final work on four presbyteries. The team next to us had made similar progress. Pizza and 'cokes' (we are in Texas where all carbonated drinks are called 'coke') were brought in and we sat and visited amongst ourselves. By mid-afternoon it began to be clear that our final readings were nearing an end and we had done our work in record time. We were released at 4:00 PM and told not to come back until 1:30 PM tomorrow so that the recording clerks could do their work. This is a blessing in disguise as it will allow me to attend a pre-assembly colloquium on the topic, "What do the sacraments actually accomplish in their administration?" Speakers are Dr. Ligon Duncan, Dr. Robert Rayburn, Dr. Will Barker and Rev. Jeff Meyers.

Last night my flights were delayed due to heavy thunderstorms in the Tri-City area and Detroit. I didn't get to my hotel until 1:00 AM (Michigan time). On the way to the hotel the shuttle driver pointed out Dealey Plaza (here), the Texas School Book Depository and the monument marking the place where President John F. Kennedy was assassinated. It is only few blocks away so I plan on visiting it between meetings. I'm kind of kicking myself because I didn't bring a camera with me on this trip. I saw it as I was packing and purposely chose to leave it behind. Doh!

No comments: