Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Pastor Dan Cummings, Health Update

Dan Cummings, Pastor of 5 Points Community Church in Auburn Hills, has posted an update on his battle with cancer on his blog The Shadowlands. Here are a couple of excerpts:

"Chapter Two of this present pilgrimage seems to be unfolding now. This past week I had a post-surgery PETscan to determine if cancer was presenting itself anywhere in my body. We had been praying that there would be a reprieve, if not a cure from God’s hand, however, our heavenly Father has ordained that the cancer will remain at some level. The scan indicated that the cancer is active in my lymph system but not any organs. That’s relatively good news..."

"The reality of stage 4 comes and goes, always with the hope that God would see fit to defy the medical diagnosis and bring about healing this side of heaven. But with yesterday’s news after the long first chapter of this pilgrimage, I’m struggling with being hopeful and joyful and submissive and faith-filled and Christ-centered. One thought plagues me: I don’t want to die in the next 2-4 years, the average life expectancy for me. I’m growing weary of being sick and not being able to remember what it feels like to be well. And my energy for this next phase of treatment is low…kind of like a football team that’s down by 6 touchdowns at halftime: made to go back out to play the second half but knowing there’s no real hope to win the game. So, I pray for grace and lean hard into 2 Corinthians 12 and Psalm 42 and Hebrews 4 and Romans 8 … and plead that my heavenly Father will answer my next round of pleas for help and healing …"

Please continue to pray for him, his family and his church.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dan and Lonette,
We continue to pray without ceasing....for courage, strength, an overwhelming sense of God's presence. Our love to you both...Lance and DeAnne