Tuesday, May 19, 2009

PC-USA update on Fidelity and Chastity

The Layman Online is reporting that 172 of its 173 presbyteries have voted on amending their Book of Church Order concerning fidelity and chastity of its clergy. At present the votes stands at 94 to 77 in favor of retaining the current requirements with three presbyteries yet to vote. Conservatives are happy that this amendment is going down in flames.

By its own admission, The Layman notes that each time this vote comes up the margin of victory gets narrower. After the three remaining presbyteries vote the best that conservatives can hope for is a 54% to 46% margin in favor of requiring fidelity and chastity in its ministers. Is that cause for rejoicing?

This situation is like a patient suffering from gangrene. The doctors want to amputate but he keeps telling them, "Look it hasn't quite reached my knee. I think that we can lick it. Give me some more time and medicine." Far be it from me to be judgmental but if I were the patient I'd say, "Amputate." If I were sitting in the pews of the PC-USA I'd say that its time to walk. If I were one of its ministers I'd transfer out or start selling used cars.

The words of Martin Luther from A Mighty Fortress still ring true, "Let goods and kindred go, this mortal life also."

No comments: