Tuesday, July 28, 2009

John Piper on the use of drama and movie clips in church services

I've commented on this blog about the use of technology in worship. While Piper doesn't address all of my concerns he addresses the major ones in this clip on the widespread practice of drama and movie clips in worship.

He says, and I quote,

"I think the use of video and drama largely is a token of unbelief in the power of preaching. And I think that, to the degree that pastors begin to supplement their preaching with this entertaining spice to help people stay with them and be moved and get helped, it's going to backfire.... It's going to communicate that preaching is weak, preaching doesn't save, preaching doesn't hold, but entertainment does."

Amen! Preach it brother John!

James Montgomery Boice used to say, "Whatever you do to bring people into the church you will need to continue doing in order to hold them." His point was that if you use entertainment or technology or fads or gimmicks to get people in the door you will need to continue the use of those things to keep them coming back.

I Cor 1:18 "For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing but to us who are being saved it is the power of God."

I Cor. 1:21 - 23 "...it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe. For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles."

2 comments:

Wes White said...

That's encouraging and helpful. Thanks for sharing that.

Anonymous said...

I agree!!

Sacha