Thursday, August 18, 2011

Jesus, Bombs, and Ice Cream



There was a time, quite a few years ago , when I read Leadership Journal.  Every so often I read their blog just to see what's up in the world of broad evangelicalism. 

Today an article was posted by Emerging Church guru, Shain Claiborne, entitled Jesus, Bombs, & Ice Cream.  In it he explains a cooperative effort he has set up with Ben Cohen, co-founder of Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream to put in a plug for world peace.  No joke. 

I guess I have to say that I'm baffled: First by the event itself and secondly by Leadership Journal.  I don't understand what the event will achieve.  It will not stop war nor will it reduce military spending.  Furthermore, it strikes me as incredibly naive - about the world in which we live, about the problem of evil, about the sinfulness of man, and about the church. 


This brings me to my second point: There was a time when Leadership Journal was writing articles about pastoral ministry that were generally helpful to pastors.  Sure, a lot of it was based on managerial techniques, pragmatism, and the budding church growth movement.  But it was written by pastors for pastors with the aim of strengthening Bible-believing churches.  I honestly don't know what Leadership's mission is today, given the potpouri of articles that are posted.  I guess what I'm saying is that I don't recognize the evangelicalism the Leadership espouses.   Am I the only one?


Jesus, Bombs, & Ice Cream - Out of Ur

No comments: