Monday, November 9, 2009

Dirty Laundry

I make my living off the evening news
Just give me something, something I can use
People love it when you lose, they love dirty laundry

Well, I could've been an actor, but I wound up here
I just have to look good, I don't have to be clear
Come and whisper in my ear, give us dirty laundry


Kick 'em when they're up, kick 'em when they're down
Kick 'em when they're up, kick 'em when they're down
Kick 'em when they're up, kick 'em when they're down
Kick 'em when they're up, kick 'em all around

 These lyrics are from Don Henley's song, Dirty Laundry.  At times blogging involves airing dirty laundry.  PCA ministers and colleagues, Tim and David Bayly, are airing some dirty laundry that needs to be seen by those who love our denomination and are concerned about its spiritual health. 

Since 2007 the issue of 'deaconesses' in our denomination has consumed much time and energy.  For those in the know that is a curious statement for our constitution does not define or recognize this title.  However, some churches are forging ahead with innovative practices and using this title as synonymous with 'deacon.'  I served on our denomination's committee to review presbytery minutes in 2007 and again in 2008 where we flagged certain presbyteries for failure to comply with our Book of Church Order as it relates to this issue. 

The church featured in the link below has been at the forefront of innovation.  That it is led by a pastor who has almost 'rock star' status is troubling to say the least.  Many churches are following their lead. 

Click on the link below to see what I'm talking about.  Look for the title, All the pretty language: Redeemer ordains women

BaylyBlog: Out of our minds, too...

No comments: